Frequently Asked Questions
I’ve gathered frequently asked questions below. Please review to make sure that you understand the workshops I offer. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Who is Laretta Houston?
Laretta Houston is a Los Angeles-based photographer specializing in advertising, fashion, and beauty. She’s been in the business for over 18 years. She sees the beauty in everything, and as a woman who wears her emotions on her sleeve, her mind’s eye sees each project as a unique journey. She contributes unconventional ideas, art direction, and a unique perspective to the projects in which she is involved. She has worked with clients ranging from celebrities to advertising campaigns. She has photographed for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit, ABC (Dancing with the Stars), Princess Cruise Lines, Mac Cosmetics, and many other clients. She has been grateful for the opportunity to meet creative people in the industry who, like her, are challenging the limits of photography and breaking new ground for storytelling through the art of photography.
Who is the workshop for?
This course is intended for intermediate and experienced photographers wishing to expand their knowledge and skills in beauty, fashion, and portrait photography. It is taught in English, so a solid understanding of English is required.
What’s included with the fee?
The workshop, of course! Lunch, snacks, coffee, and cold beverages (please notify us in advance if you have any specific dietary concerns).
What forms of payments do you accept?
I currently accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Express. Affirm, AfterPay, and Klarna are available at the shop checkout if you are looking for installments.
Does the fee include accommodations?
No. The pricing solely includes the course and workshop activities. Each participant is responsible for travel to and from the course, lodging, transportation, and meals (except those supplied during workshop hours). Where you stay is totally up to you, though staying close to the workshop venue is encouraged.
How many participants allowed?
This depends on the workshop, but we exclusively work in small groups, with an average of 4 to 10 participants in every photography workshop. This guarantees that our workshop provides each participant with plenty of individual attention, allowing us to cater to people of all ability levels. It also ensures that the shooting opportunities are limited and that we enjoy the personal and calm dynamics that come with a small group.
What photography skills are required?
Most of our workshops are appropriate for photographers of all skill levels. This means that you might be a semi-pro or a complete beginner, and we will meet your photography needs. Because our groups are small, we personalize the workshop to each individual’s level, ensuring that everyone is catered to. If workshops are more appropriate for photographers at a given level, this will be clearly stated.
Do I need a laptop and software?
Please bring your laptop. The workshop typically involves post-processing, and you will need your laptop to fully participate!
Your PC or Mac laptop will require the following software:
– Adobe Photoshop
– Adobe Lightroom “Desktop Focused Photo Editing”
Please make sure that all software on your laptops is installed and up-to-date before starting the workshop.
What other equipment do I need to bring?
Please bring these items:
- Mirrorless or DSLR camera
- Different lenses or “Go to Lens”
- External harddrive
- SD card, CFexpress, or both
- Lens cleaner and cloth
- Notebook and pen
- Laptop charger
- Portable charger
What happens if the weather is bad?
When it comes to the weather, it is always an important factor to consider, yet sadly, we have no influence over it! However, unexpected or difficult weather is not a sufficient reason for us to cancel a workshop.
If the weather is severe or dangerous, we may have to cancel the program. If we decide to cancel a workshop, we will contact all participants as soon as possible and offer a full refund of tuition fees.
*We are not responsible for monetary losses or fees related to travel, hotels, transportation, or food. Please make sure you acquire travel insurance.
Do you offer private workshops?
Not at this time, but maybe in the future.
Do you provide travel insurance?
I presently do not include travel insurance in my workshop prices. I strongly recommend that you have your own, mostly for medical coverage.
What about Covid 19?
COVID-19 has undoubtedly impacted the world since its introduction in 2020. For my photography workshops, my clients’ health and safety will always come first. To help stop the spread of COVID-19, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines during the workshop:
- Maintain Social Distancing: Practice social distancing by staying at least six feet apart from others. This applies during both indoor and outdoor sessions, ensuring a safer environment for everyone involved.
- Sanitize Hands Regularly: Hand hygiene is essential. Please make use of the hand sanitizers provided at the workshop. Washing hands with soap and water is also encouraged, especially after touching surfaces or equipment.
- Respect Participant Limits: Please adhere to the specified group size and avoid unnecessary close contact with other participants.
- Inform About Symptoms: If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, please inform us immediately. We will take the necessary measures to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
- Provide Contact Information: In the event of any subsequent reports of COVID-19 cases among participants, providing accurate contact information is crucial for contact tracing. Rest assured, this information will be handled with strict confidentiality.
- Stay Updated: Be aware of and follow any additional guidelines or instructions provided by local health authorities. Changes in regulations or recommendations may occur, and we appreciate your cooperation in adapting to them.
These guidelines are implemented with the utmost consideration for everyone’s health and safety. Your cooperation in following these measures is essential to creating a secure and enjoyable environment for all participants. Together, we can contribute to the collective effort to curb the spread of COVID-19 and create a positive and healthy experience for everyone involved in our photography workshops.
I am traveling with someone?
Travel partners are, of course, welcome to the workshop lunches for an extra fee. Workshop times are dedicated exclusively to participants.